Friday, August 16, 2013

Elementary, My Dear Watson

The other day, I walked down one of the most famous streets in London.


Home of the great detective, Sherlock Holmes

I should have used a picture of the original but I prefer Benedict Cumberbatch
You know you're on Baker Street as soon as you walk out of the underground because you see this.


London really gives Sherlockians a treat when you walk down Baker Street. They've created a little exhibition at 221b Baker Street. 


And there are a lot of Sherlockians in London (or that travel to London). The museum opens at 9:30 and when I arrived a half hour early (and read a Sherlock story ;) ), there were already ten people ahead of me. By the time the museum actually opened, the line was probably 45 minute wait. When I left the museum around 10:30, the line was all the way down the block! People really love their Sherlock. 

And why not love Sherlock? Arthur Conan Doyle began writing the Sherlock Holmes mysteries in 1887and there are about sixty stories to read. Then you have many movies old and recent as well as the incredible BBC television series with the gorgeous Benedict Cumberbatch. So Sherlock Holmes franchise reaches out to both young and old.

The museum was done very well: decorating the house as if Sherlock, Watson, and Mrs. Hudson had actually lived there!



They had done up Sherlock’s and Watson’s bedrooms.

The Hallway
Sherlock's bed



Dr. Watson's books of medicine
And they had created an exhibit of wax figures of their different cases. See if you can guess which ones they are. Answers are here.

1
2
3


4
5
6



















It’s a small museum, but for a Sherlockian, it was really cool. 

Afterwards, I took a walk through Regent’s Park, which I can only assume Sherlock would have done sometimes since he lived so close. 


It could have been any park really....

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhhh How awesome! I will definitely go there one day!!!!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete