Saturday, August 10, 2013

You Know You're In Paris When...


(Apologies for the lateness of this post, I had no wifi for a bit. I am actually in Cardiff now)

There are the obvious things

The Arc de Triomphe


The Palace of Versailles


Notre Dame


The Louvre (specifically the Mona Lisa which is the only piece of art anyone actually knows) 

 \
and The Eiffel Tower

But here is my list: 

1. Macarons
You’ve heard of macaroons, the delicious coconut treat. But macarons are a delicious French biscuit? Cake? I’m not sure what it is. But it’s delicious and comes in different flavours



2. Cigarette smoke EVERYWHERE
This was probably one of the WORST things in Paris. I thought I would die from lack of oxygen most days. Hope I didn’t end up with lung cancer….



3. Very odd looking statues
I don’t understand French sculptures. It’s just baffling.

 


I do like this one. It's called Stravinsky's Fountain, and each piece of art is dedicated to one of his pieces.




4. Gargoyles
Very cool indeed. 



 5. Random pieces of Roman architecture.
It was funny, coming from Rome to Paris, and then finding the same pillar that I saw back in Rome.


Looks like the Pantheon...but it's not



This one is in Rome...
...this one is in Paris



















6. Uncooked meat.
Yeah, I’ve had sushi before, but boeuf tartar was something very new to me…



7. Spiral staircases
Spiral staircases everywhere! 

























8. Pigeons
So many pigeons! If you thought Toronto was bad, Paris takes the cake (hehe Marie Antoinette pun)



8. European kissing (I’d call it French kissing, but I’m pretty sure that’s something else)
First day in Paris, and my cousin takes me to meet her friends. When we arrived, he gave my cousin a peck on each cheek. And then he turned and did the same to me! Ahh Security breach! Human in close proximity! Step away from the Canadian!

No picture available
Seriously, what did you expect me to take a picture of??


9. Boulangeries
It’s not uncommon to walk down the street with a baguette under your arm, One end in bag, other end sticking up into the sky. Seriously, just make the bag longer or the bread shorter.


















10. CREPES
MMM….so delicious! It’s basically a really flat pancake that can be filled with sweet or savoury stuff.



















Upcoming post: OOWEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So much fun! I can't believe you ate the boeuf tartar...Ewwwww..... :)

    ReplyDelete