Tuesday, August 13, 2013

London Bridge is Falling Down...

Yesterday, my cousin and I decided to go find London Bridge. She's been here before, so she knew where to go...

or so she thought.

We took the long way around because what's the point of being in London if you're just going to stay in the tube the entire time.

On our way, I found another obelisk!

It's called Cleopatra's Needle

I can't believe my little game has gone with me everywhere I go.

We walked down the South bank where we found Shakespeare's Globe.



It's a remake of the Globe Theatre that was burnt down in 1613. It's where Shakespeare's plays were performed. It's also where they filmed some of the Doctor Who episode "The Shakespeare Code."

We then walked a little farther down where we found something called The Clink.


It's one of the oldest, most horrid prisons in London during the 12th century until the 1780s.

They've obviously cleaned it up and turned it into a museum. But it's pretty awful in there. Dark, damp, hot, and a pretty bad smell.


It was very disturbing to see how people were treated back then; the worst conditions you can imagine. Sewage water, torture instruments, and horrible living conditions. I'm so glad we now have laws on torture.

We continued to walk down the bank of the Thames when we saw the bridge.


It's a very nice bridge. Built in 1886 and finished in 1894. It's a suspension bridge spanning 800 feet in length with two towers each 213 feet high, built on piers.

We walked over it (which was horrendously busy) which was cool. I don't understand why they painted it blue. Very ugly colour. They could have at least painted it red like everything else in London.

I probably should have clued in that this was not London Bridge. On the map, we had passed a bridge, which I thought was supposed to be London Bridge, but my cousin said it was farther. And then when we crossed this bridge, I took a picture of the sign before you crossed.

It says Tower Bridge. How daft can I be?
I only realised when we headed back and I looked at the map and saw we were beside the Tower of London.

doesn't look like a tower...


The bridge beside the Tower of London is Tower Bridge. Not London Bridge.

We had walked past it!

We headed back and found the actual London Bridge

It even says "London Bridge" on the right side of the pillar

Well...that was bit of a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment