Saturday, August 3, 2013

Une Ode à la Musique

Music would take over at the point at which words become powerless, with the one and only object of expressing that which nothing but music could express. - Claude Debussy 

Something I have wanted to do for so long was pay honour to the composers that have enriched and given my life meaning. Being in Europe, I was finally able to do that.

Bucket list item

The first cemetery is Cimetière de Passy, which is not far from the Eiffel Tower. Buried there are the composers Gabriel Fauré and Claude Debussy. 

When I arrived, I realised I had a problem. There were hundreds of plots and I had no clue where to start searching. So I started walking. About 10 minutes of reading every single tombstone, I realised it was a lost cause and I should probably ask the main gate. After all, they should be keeping track of the dead, right? Not that they're going anywhere or anything...

 When I reached the door, guess what I found. Yeah. That's right. A map.


With all the famous plots laid out -_-
So now with a plan of action and crows flying overhead, I went off in search again.

The first one was that of Gabriel Fauré. Buried along with his father-in-law, mother-in-law, wife, and son.


"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." - Gabriel Fauré

I haven't played much Fauré, other than one nocturne and an orchestral piece, but it was still very nice to see it. 

Next, I found Claude Debussy's grave, which was a plot down from Fauré.
























''It is necessary to abandon yourself completely, and let the music do as it will with you.'' - Claude Debussy







It was so simple for one who had created such colourful music. It really does make one sad.

Cimetière du Père-Lachaise is the famous cemetery where all the famous people are buried such as Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, and Vincenzo Bellini. Thankfully, the map was right in front of the entrance, with all the names laid out. 

I still got lost...it's actually quite frightening to be lost in a cemetery. Crows calling, owls hooting, spider webs, broken crypts...even though it was daylight it was pretty chilling.

Imagine being here at the start of a zombie apocalypse
The first crypt I visited was Rossini. Unfortunately, he's not buried there anymore (they moved him to Florence), but the crypt remains in dedication to his memory.


"Music is a kind of harmonious language."- Gioachino Rossini

 Next was the grave of Bizet. 


"Ah, music! What a beautiful art! But what a wretched profession!"- Georges Bizet

He died after swimming in the Seine. I can understand why. 

After walking around more than I needed to, I found Francis Poulenc's crypt. He was buried with his niece.  
I can't seem to find a quote...

I saved, what I consider the most important composer, for last. Frédéric François Chopin. 


"Put all your soul into it, play the way you feel!" - Frédéric Chopin. 

For me, he holds a very key role in my life. As a pianist, his works have challenged me in ways I never thought I could be challenged. They have opened me to emotions I never knew I could feel. His music expresses things I will never be able to put into words. I did, however, write a letter to him trying to give my gratitude to this amazing man. I placed it on the right side, under the white flowers. And no. I'm not telling you what I wrote.

It's incredible that, even after all these years, people still come to pay respects to these composers. Their music has inspired thousands of people in one way or another. I can't imagine what the world would be like if they had not worked as hard as they did. Their dedication to music is something I hope I can live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment