Thursday, July 18, 2013

'Fancy Food' is the New 'Fast Food'


Food here is very special. It's literally an art form for them. The taste, the smell, and the presentation are important for the Italians. Every morsel of food should be appreciated with the highest regard. The other day, I spent an hour and a half enjoying the most delicious three course meal I have ever had.

Bruschetta and red wine
That's about as fancy as it gets
Caprese Pizza:
fancy way of saying tomatoes, onions and cheese

This crème caramel put all desserts to shame
I must say, I'm very nervous taking pictures of my food. In Canada, no problem! It's a compliment to the chef that you want everyone to see this awesome dish. And honestly, no one cares. But in Italy? I feel like everyone's judging me. "Who's this foreigner taking pictures of her food? How stupid can she be?"

So an hour and a half for a meal. Great. It was a spectacular, relaxing, and beyond reasonably delicious meal. But it's incredible! I don't know how the Italians find the time to do this every day. They must all have time manipulators or something. But I'm in Rome taking classes on music performance. I don't have that much time to eat like regularly.

Today, for instance.

I didn't pack a lunch before classes so I headed out to find something to eat. I only had 45 minutes so I needed it to be quick and simple.

I don't think the word "quick" is in the Italian vocabulary.

Fast food restaurants don't exist.....oh wait...now that I think about it, there was a Subway down the street....

ahem...

Anyways, I decided to walk up towards the Trevi Fountain to find a place that would be quick and found a little street restaurant advertising "Quick Lunch". They had sandwiches (or paninis as the Italians call it) for a reasonable price so I sat down. At this point, I had a half hour to eat and walk back. Plenty of time, right?

Wrong.

They took their time with asking what I would like to order. I would understand if the restaurant  had been busy, but I was the only customer except for a tourist couple who already had their food. I ordered a Caprese (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) sandwich and mineral water. Yes. Mineral water. Not plain water. It's fizzante or mineral water. You can't get plain tap water or they look at you like you're an idiot (it happened to me during the fancy meal). "Well, can't I just not order a drink?" you ask? No. They look at you with disgust if you do that too. As I said: Fancy.

So they took their time with bringing me my order. And yet again, I would have understood if there were more people than me ordering, but there were more waiters than customers! At this point, I have 10 minutes to eat and get back. This is where I start to feel embarrassed because I'm looking at this sandwich, and it is absolutely gorgeous! So nicely prepared and probably the finest ingredients. And here I am, about to scarf it down and run like a pathetic North American. I would have taken a picture but, as I said, no time.

I eat this beautiful and delicious sandwich as quickly as possible without looking like a savage and then stare at the waitress so she knows I want my bill (or "conto" in Italiano). Once again, she's taking her sweet, sweet time and I know I'm gonna be late. I slapped down the money and I didn't really care that I just gave her a 30% tip. I HATE being late and I didn't care anymore. After leaving as graciously as possible, in Torontonian fashion, I booted it down the street. No one runs in Italy. They all walk at a very leisurely pace which I must say, drives me utterly mad. Those that have walked with me know I am a fast walker. What I think is a "leisurely pace" is power walking for most people.

Just as I thought, I was late by five minutes. I apologized to the professor, but, as one Italian here said, "Thirty minutes late is considered fashionably late."

I'm gonna remember that the next time I'm late for choir practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment