Friday, July 19, 2013

Stop to Smell the Roses...or Not

So I got scammed.

I honestly thought I'd be smarter than that, but it happened. In Rome, there are quite a number of people that are out there just to get your money in sneaky ways.

I was taking pictures at the Piazza del Popolo (I think it's English for Plaza of the People) when an older Indian man came up to me and shoved three roses into my hand. I kind of stood there awkwardly, very much confused.

He's going on saying "beautiful flowers for the beautiful signorina" and at first I'm flattered though quite confused. And then he asks me where I'm from and I say I'm from Canada. He then started to rave about how wonderful a country Canada is and how nice the people are....and how generous...

*warning bells*

But it's too late. I'm stuck. Flowers in hand, words about how wonderful Canadians are, and I'm paying the guy 3 euros for roses I didn't really want. 

You know that things grownups say to you as a kid: don't take candy from strangers? Guess it still applies.

At least I got some pretty roses. 



No comments:

Post a Comment