Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Searching for a Higher Power


In Europe, they have a different electricity outlet.



http://www.letravelstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/volt-outlet.jpg
Doesn't it have just the cutest little face?


Before I left, my dad gave me a plug adaptor that he said would work.

It didn't.

So for the last few days I've been conserving battery power on my laptop and mooched off the roommate once.

Of all things to buy in Rome, a tech shop is one of the hardest things to find. I asked my piano teacher here if she knew of one. But being the fashionista she is, she didn't know. So off I went, map in hand, in search of the Plug of Power.

I must say, I am getting the hang of reading a map and using the sun as a compass. I started down one street and walked about 15 minutes before stopping at a tourist kiosk and asking if she knew where to get an adaptor.

She didn't.

So I started walking down another random street.

The cool thing about Rome is that no matter what street you turn on, you can find something interesting.
One thing I really enjoy are the churches. Some of them have been around since 130 A.D.!!


The Pantheon! Built in 126 A.D!
They're amazing works of architecture and it's impossible to imagine how they made them with early tools. All of them are so big and probably took years and hundreds of hands to complete.



Chiesa del Gesù - 1551 A.D
Trinità dei Monti - 1502 A.D.
San Gregorio Magno al Celio - 575 A.D




San Silvestro in Capite - 8th century

 Every time I see a church, I'm in awe that there was a time when people worshipped God with a deep sense of respect and admiration. I love how reverent they were and feel sad at how far we have gone from that.


San Lorenzo in Lucina - built in 440 AD


(Side Note: Lorenzo! There was an engraving on the side of the church with some music notes. Thought it fitting for your namesake church.)

There's something very beautiful and very sacred about entering these churches. I found it quite pleasing that they force people to cover up before walking into these churches; no shoulders or knees should be showing. It was a tad ironic too, since a lot of the painting and sculptures inside the churches are of barely dressed figures.


It's like something out of Doctor Who
Chiesa Del Gesu - built in 1551 A.D


But angels aside, take a look at that painting! That's the ceiling! THE CEILING! Everywhere you look inside a church, you're gonna find something incredible to look at. I can't believe how well done everything is. 


Look at the detail around those gorgeous organ pipes!
Chiesa Del Gesu
 The amount of effort and money just blows me away. In a way, it shows just how important God was to these people.
It's also so depressing how mediocre society has become that these churches have been around for a thousand plus years and yet we can't seem to make a toaster that lasts more than one year. Seriously.

 Anyways, after stepping into my fourth church of the day, I finally found a tech shop! I now have power again and can continue blogging more pictures! Yay!


 


.

1 comment:

  1. Om nom nom nom ... The Feels! I hope you understand me completely with those words...

    ReplyDelete