Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Worshipping Helios, God of the Sun

On Sunday, I did the most Italian thing one can possibly do when in Rome.

I went to the beach.

Feel the sand between your toes...start squirming
 If you take the metro and then a train (all for just €1.50!) you reach the beach in Ostia.

Yes, Story Keepers people! Ostia! As in the port they went to to reach Shamadar!

I'm not much of a beach person, but the other students here wanted to go and I thought "when's the next time I'm gonna get to swim in the Tyrrhenian Sea?" So I went for it. And it was fun! Kind of...

We got packed into a horribly crowded subway...


 Drank piña coladas


CARPE DIEM

 And went swimming!


But I don`t think I'll ever understand the Italians obsession with tanning.

Seriously. When you think about it, you're basically cooking your skin just like you would a chicken. If you cook it at a low enough temperature for the right amount of time, it becomes a yummy shade of brown. But if you cook it too long, you get all crispy and gross.

I got overbaked.

My shoulders and face are a horrible, painful shade of red right now. And no. I'm not posting a picture of it.

*Sigh* I think I'll return to my Britsh roots and stay "ghastly pale" forever.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you did not have to deal with the millions of jelly fish in the Mediterranean Sea. According to a recent article more than 150,000 tourists each year are treated for jelly fish stings...
    http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/international/239906-jellyfish-surge-in-mediterranean-threatens-summer-tourists.html

    ReplyDelete